The alumni of the European Master in Disaster Medicine (EMDM) recognise the necessity for an organization that will assist the professional development of all individuals devoted to the educational, research, and health care aspects of Disaster Medicine and Disaster Management, and support the development of the EMDM. We do hereby form an organization hereinafter identified as, EUROPEAN MASTER IN DISASTER MEDICINE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION, abbreviated as EMDM-Alumni.
The Alumni Association was founded in 2005 and is committed to promote the excellence in the study and practice of disaster medicine, to assist the professional development of all individuals devoted to the educational, research, and health care aspects of Disaster Medicine, and to support the development of the EMDM. The decision to create an Alumni Association came from the common desire to bring together dynamic forces and to create an international network of experts in Disaster Medicine.
One of the key elements of the Association is the constant attention paid to all its members, to the maintenance of their professional skills and to the establishment of national and international relations.
The Association offers various services, such as continuing education, exchange sessions between alumni, the elaboration of joint projects, participation in topical forums through its website and the distribution of its newsletter.
The main purpose of the Association is to serve the medical community by supporting the development of disaster medicine and disaster management, in order to reduce the effect of disasters on the affected populations’ health. The objectives include:
- to establish a network of qualified professionals;
- to provide a forum for research in all aspects of disaster medicine;
- to provide effective communication between the EMDM and its Alumni, by keeping Members informed on EMDM matters and to assist in maintaining the educational tradition and spirit of the EMDM;
- to provide information on the achievements and activities of the Alumni of the EMDM and assist Alumni in their professional endeavours;
- to organize meetings and conferences to bring together the EMDM graduates and others devoted to disaster medicine
THE ASSOCIATION NOW COUNTS MORE THAN 500 MEMBERS FROM
THE SIX CONTINENTS, WHO MEET ANNUALLY IN A GENERAL ASSEMBLY.
Four Assemblies have been already organized on the occasion of international congresses or conferences in the field of disaster medicine. At national level vocational workshops and satellite courses were promoted and run by association’s local representatives, in order to stimulate interest and to foster cooperation among health providers.